Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Body is Not as Young as I Think!

This might sound a little crazy after you hear my story but, you might agree.

So, I started going to the gym, to get healthy and back in shape. Yeah for me right! Wrong! On Tuesday nights there is a dance workout class followed by another dance class, that I began going to a few weeks ago. Well, if you know me I LOVE to dance and I have been having a fun time with it. I usually put Lea in bed before I leave and Brian watches Kiley. On Tuesday everything was going as planned I did the first class and was feeling great we were almost done with the last class (7 or 8 mins left) and I was really getting into it. I think that I was getting into it to much, and forgot that I have not exercised in over two years (and believe it or not my body can not do what it used to). I was doing a dance move called "pump it up" and I think I pumped it up to hard. I heard my back pop and all the sudden pain was shooting around my waist and up my back. My legs and feet went numb and I could no longer stand upright. I stood at the back of the class hunched over with my hands on knees totally embarrassed as the class finished.

The young (22 years old) blonde totally in shape instructor came up and asked if I was ok. I told her, "I was not sure and that I could not walk at that moment". She called another young (21 year old) personal trainer into the room and that is when I felt like that commercial, "want to get away". If I could have run out those doors I would have. I am not usually embarrassed about much but for some reason I was completely embarrassed. I think because I was trying to make my body do things that it does not want to do after having two kids.

I went to the doctor and he told me I strained a muscle and irritated the nerve in my back. They gave me a shot that was supposed to take away the pain (it didn't) and then perscribed me Vicodin (that doesn't work either).

I think I realized that although I am not old, my body is definitely not twenty anymore and I need to remember that I did have two kids.

1 comment:

the mathisons said...

I feel that way too at times, Nicole, just tack on a few more years. I am laughing because I do not see you older than the two girls you described... you look great even though you may not feel it. I remember being young enough to not get the whole "no pain, no gain"... funny how things change... I get now!

Any way, it has been fun reading about your family... your girls are so sweet.